Musty or Smelly Crawl Space
A crawl space may emit a musty odor if there is mold growing inside of it, or if there is rotting wood caused from water intrusion. Whenever a crawl space has not been sealed off from the outside environment, or when there are leaky pipes or air conditioners installed here under the home, it can cause a lot of problems. Water in this area of the home is never a good thing. It can cause wooden materials to decay and deteriorate, and this doesn't just smell bad, but it's also hazardous for the structural integrity of a home. It can damage wooden support beams, floor joists, and other materials which are partially-responsible for holding up the weight of your entire home.
Also, this rotting wood can be attractive to unwanted critters, such as termites, roaches, mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, rats, mice, skunks, and to other various unwanted pests. When these animals take up residence below your home, it can also lead to odd smells which will creep up and into a home.
The biggest cause of a musty smelling crawl space is mold growth. This is also common whenever moisture is present below a home. Mold needs three things to survive - water, high humidity levels, and organic materials to feed off of. Most un-encapsulated crawl space environments have these three things present at all times, making it easy for mold to grow and prosper. The mold releases spores up and into the air, and these spores eventually make their way into the living areas of the home. This is what causes a home to smell bad, or musty. The smell is similar to dirty gym socks. This dangerous fungus needs to be dealt with immediately since it can cause many different health problems, including asthma attacks, respiratory problems, skin irritation, headaches, fatigue, cold/flu-like symptoms, allergic reactions, and many other different types of medical problems.
SantaFe® (click here)
Filtration System that removes up to 400% more moisture than a conventional dehumidifier. SantaFe® not only removes the excess moisture, it also double-filters the air, removing dust and mold particles down to 2 microns.